- DLA Piper Africa - Africa Network of the Year - Highly Commended - LegalWeek African Legal Awards 2017
- DLA Piper Africa - Africa Network of the Year - LegalWeek African Legal Awards 2016
- DLA Piper Africa is ranked Band 1: Leading Regional Law Firm Networks – Africa-Wide. DLA Piper Africa Group brings international branding and experience to bear on the continent through its integrated network. It combines DLA Piper offices in Johannesburg and Casablanca with relationship firms in numerous other jurisdictions to offer international client service levels with in-depth local expertise and knowledge. The offices frequently collaborate and refer on cross-border work creating cohesive member relationships which are further developed by regional training programmes and conferences. Members benefit from DLA's global experience and presence through its secondment programmes to other Africa offices, as well as those in Europe and the USA. Key contacts for clients are network chair Chris Ewing and international development partner David Church.
Chambers Global 2018
- DLA Piper Africa is ranked Band 1: Leading Regional Law Firm Networks – Africa-Wide. DLA Piper Africa Group brings together impressive talent across the continent under the branding of a renowned global law firm. The network
provides cross-border support to clients across a number of key practice areas, including energy, banking and finance, dispute resolution, infrastructure, hospitality and telecoms. Training and secondment programmes contribute to strengthening the relationships and co-operation between the various members. The group additionally benefits from DLA Piper's own offices in Africa, in Morocco and South Africa, as well as access to the firm's wider global experience. Network chair Chris Ewing is a key contact, as is international development partner, David Church.
Chambers Global 2017
- DLA Piper Africa is ranked Band 1: Leading Regional Law Firm Networks – Africa-Wide. DLA Piper Africa is an extensive network formed from exclusive associations across the African continent. It offers core strength across the south and east of the continent, and recently added a new member firm in Mozambique. It assists clients in a broad range of sectors, including on complex PPP, energy natural resource, TMT and finance mandates. It maintains co-ordinating offices in London, Nairobi and Johannesburg. Chris Ewing is the chairman of the network.
Chambers Global 2016
- DLA Piper Africa is ranked in Band 1: Leading Regional Law Firm Networks – Africa-wide. This network is a combination of independent offices working in co-operation with DLA Piper. DLA Piper Africa is heavily represented across the continent, providing clients with seamless legal services across all key practice areas.
Chambers Global 2015
- 5 partners listed in 2017 and 4 in 2016 in Jeune Afrique's Top 50 Lawyers in Francophone Africa, a leading French-language Africa-focused business publication.
Oil and Gas
- Africa Oil & Gas Deal of the Year – 2014 by IJGlobal for the Oando Energy Resources Transaction - (US$1.65 billion acquisition of upstream assets and associated multi-source financing).
Power / Infrastructure
- Transportation and Infrastructure Team of the Year 2016 - The award at the Annual LegalWeek African Legal Awards. The award was for the truly unprecedented approach to healthcare, first time Medical Equipment Supply PPP Project in Kenya. Completed by DLA Piper and IKM Advocates.
- Africa Power Deal of the Year—2015 by six publications, including Project Finance International and Infrastructure Journal, for the Maamba Collieries 300 MW Power Project where we acted throughout for the sponsors and project company. Joint transaction between DLA Piper and CCO.
- Recognised by the Financial Times with the “Most Innovative Firm in Finance Law – 2012” award for our ground-breaking work on a US$3 billion joint venture to develop an integrated coal mine, 600 MW thermal power station and iron ore mine in Tanzania (the single largest investment venture in East Africa to date).
- TMT Team of the Year - 2015 award at the Annual LegalWeek African Legal Awards. The award was for DLA Piper's work on the ground-breaking submarine cable project across 17 West African countries.
Legal Week "praised the team for its work on a “precedent-setting” deal that is set to become the model for future ventures of a similar nature".
- Corporate Social Responsibility - 2013 award at the Annual LegalWeek African Legal Awards.
Legal Week commented that "The DLA Piper Africa Group scooped the CSR award for its work supporting the activities of its not-for-profit initiative New Perimeter, which was established in 2005 and whose mission is “to provide long-term, high-impact pro bono legal support to qualifying non-profitable organisations, governments and academic institutions, primarily in developing and post-conflict regions.”
DLA Piper Africa is a Swiss verein whose members are comprised of independent law firms in Africa working with DLA Piper.